Thursday, May 8, 2008

Do You Live with a Clutterer?

I do.

I won't give names because she's reading over my shoulder as I type, but some little person who lives in my home likes to collect many diverse and interesting things, and keep them all in her room.

She's learning to throw away, share, and organize her things year by year. She is developing a growing understanding of the place that material possessions are to have in a Christian's life.

She's a Christian too, and has this to say about things:

"Sometimes things can overwhelm you by distracting you and taking you away from God. It's hard to get rid of stuff when you're attached to it. I know that I can never get rid of 10 of my toys because they're so special to me. Don't hold too tight to things, because they're just things. If you get rid of one thing, you may lose something you want to keep, but if you donate it, some other person will have the joy of having it too. "

Tremendous insight from my little daughter.

Now just don't peak into her room this week. It needs "loads of work," as she says.

An easy way to help kids learn to declutter is to do it WITH, not FOR, them (once they are around age 8 or 9). Kids know which toys and books and clothes they no longer want to keep. Don't hinder them; encourage them.

Bring in a huge garbage bag for trash, several give away boxes, and some disinfecting wipes to clean things off as you go. My daughter made up sounds as to which item to keep and which to get rid of. She whistles to keep it, and makes a reject buzzer sound to indicate "out it goes." Her invented sounds makes the process more like a game for both of us. And I can't think of an activity I enjoy more than helping people free themselves of unnecessary burdens, sound effects included.