Thursday, August 4, 2011

FUSSY DECORATING = CLUTTER (MAYBE)

An interesting transformation has occurred over the past decade:  the magazine photos and books I am drawn to--detailing rooms that I admire--have changed.  

It's a subtle change, but I realize that the rooms that once wow-ed me contain too much busyness and I no longer admire them.  

Too many books, carpets, pieces of furniture, paintings on the wall, and objets d'art cluttering up every surface.  It's visually chaotic.  

This book was a favorite:
 

And when I opened it up again yesterday, I quickly closed it and chose another book from my shelf.

And just a few years ago I admired that look of organized, neatly arranged abundance.

Why the transformation?  I believe that the busier a person becomes, the less she wants visual chaos around her.   And as my life has increased in responsibilities, I realize I crave even fewer material things, not more, to care take.

What about you?  Think about how your own life has increased in speed, responsibilities, activities, and things over the past five to ten years.  Perhaps a heavy dose of decluttering might help quiet the visual chaos around you, and provide you a calm, peaceful environment in which you can manage your growing responsibilities with more grace and serenity.

Have a blessed day!