Friday, January 2, 2009

New Year In, Old Clutter Out!

Every new year, since the mid-1990's, I have spent part of December 31 and January 1 getting rid of junk in my home. I love this annual ritual: making space for the future while honoring and releasing the past. I go through almost every possession in my home and life and decide if it has fulfilled its usefulness to me. If it has, I either throw it away, recycle it, or place it in a bag to donate to a charity thrift store.

I am always amazed at how much I have to donate, and I'm not a compulsive shopper! It's amazing the volume of things that enter the average American's life in a year's time. I declutter as I go about living my life during the year, but still I can always find things to let go of as the new year rolls in.

Why not pick an area of your home right now, perhaps the coat closet or your Christmas CD collection, and make some room for 2009? You will feel rejuvenated!